Güero's Taco Bar
The building that houses the G"uero’s dining room was built as a seed and feed store in the late 1800’s. This Central Seed and Feed Store, now an Austin Landmark, served as a neighborhood meeting place for all of South Austin’s characters. Dice games in the back room and book makers paying off bets on the front porch were standard fare for the day.
The neighborhood held onto its eclectic roots during the development boom. As the city expanded in all directions during the 1970’s and 80’s, South Austin, and South Congress in particular, continued to serve the strong community now identifiable by zip code alone.
In 1993, the Central Food and Seed store closed their doors for good. Cathy and Rob Lippincott bought the building in 1995 for the purpose of expanding the modest taqueria they had on East Oltorf to a larger location, with the hopes of continuing the tradition of a meeting place for locals and newcomers alike.
Enjoy their handmade corn tortillas, specialty dishes, and make sure to visit the salsa bar. G"uero’s caldo de pollo and tacos al pastor are just a few of their tried-and-true favorites. Start off with a hand-shaken margarita in the cantina, or enjoy an icy cold cerveza while listening to music in our Oak Garden.